Sunday, November 28, 2010

It Has Begun

Christmas has finally made it's way into our home. Usually I have a strict no-decorations-until-December-1st rule, but the weekend before the 1st is acceptable. Right? Considering how many people I see on Facebook, posting that they have put up their trees and decorated their houses before our Remembrance Day (November 11th!!!!), I think I'm okay.
I am a total Christmas NUT. I love everything about it. The lights, the music, the decorations, the snow (if we're lucky!), fires in fireplaces, being cozy, hot cocoa, desserts, baking, candlelit Christmas Eve service at church, the excitement in my children's eyes, and the most important thing of all, the celebration of the birth of our Savior. I warn you ahead of time, this month of blogging is probably going to be heavily doused in Christmas joy, blissful coziness, and wintery love.



On Saturday, after turning on Praise 106.5 FM and hearing Christmas music being played, and after baking a very delicious loaf of banana bread, I have to say I really got in the mood to get everything set up. I pulled everything out of my storage closet and the kids and I got started. Last year I invested in a gorgeous 7' fake Christmas tree from Canadian Tire. They had a phenominal sale on, and this tree cost me $79. AWESOME deal for a tall and gloriously full tree, and it was the very last one, the display model in fact. I couldn't pass up such a good deal so the very kind employee that I dealt with took off all of the decorations and boxed it up for me. I ♥ Canadian Tire. While I absolutely love the look and smell of a real tree, I don't love the maintenance. From a frugal perspective, I'd rather spend a bit for a fake one that will last years and years, then continually fork over $30-$50 each year.
It took us the better part of Saturday afternoon to get all of the decorations set up, and the tree fully decorated, but we did it. Gabe was mesmerized by it all, as he has pretty much forgotten Christmases past, so this was almost all new to him. And he, at his tender little age of 3, appreciates beautiful things so much it almost made me teary watching him gently touch the ornaments, and ever so carefully place the baby Jesus in our nativity scene, or when he looked around the living room at the twinkling lights and in his little voice said "Mommmmmmmy. It's booofiful". Vaeh kept repeating over and over again "I'm having so much fun!!". She is my little assistant and adores helping me with anything I'm doing. She also loves everything I do about Christmas, almost as much as I do too. Christmas has taken on such a special new feeling once I became a Mom, and even more-so when it became just the 3 of us. We've actually been able to celebrate Christmases as they should be celebrated, full of love and joy and happiness and togetherness. I cringe at the memory of Christmases just a few years back, and that's not how it should be. So we have new memories now. Beautiful ones. Memories that project the love of the Lord and His guidance in our lives, and memories that are full of hope for what is to come for us, in the new year, and in our new life.









These santa and trees candles were in my home every Christmas when I was growing up, so they have some sentimental value to me. This year I've been working at making sure santa wasn't the focus of Christmas so we only have a few santa related things out.

This is our 'activity advent' that I bought last year. You can read all about how we use it here. In the next couple of days I will try to post the list of the activities we have planned in case any of you were looking for some ideas for your advent. This year will be slightly different with the calendar though, as Vaeh is learning to read, and really well, so the element of surprise for what our activity will be may be lost. I know she will peek at the paper ahead of time and read it. She's very impatient. Wonder where she gets it from.


This is something else that has been around my home for years. It plays 'Hark! the Herald Angels Sing' and the angel moves in and out of the church, the doors closing as she goes in and opening as she comes out. I cherish it :)


Well I' m off to cook dinner and then do some knitting. There is much to get done before December 24th!

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Your decorations are so adorable, good job! Makes me want to put up mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelleye- Thank you so much! You made my day :)I say go for it with decorating. Why not? Take care!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails