Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Love Me Some Fall

Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had the day off, so after breakfast the kids and I headed out for a walk to the mailbox and to play in some leaves. The streets in our neighborhood are covered in a gorgeous blanket of crunchy redness and it was just too hard to resist stomping on all of it. I thought it would be a great opportunity to collect some leaves for our compost bin as well.


 Composting has gone well for us and has been a fun experience. In the hot days of summer we encountered excessive amounts of fruit flies taking up home in the bin and that wasn't so pleasant. I'm still learning though and realized it was because I had too much food stuff in the bin, not enough browns (leaves, grass, newspaper, etc.) and I wasn't stirring. My bad. Now that the weather has cooled there is not a bug to be seen and the bin smells like wonderfully rich soil.

As we headed out yesterday, the kids couldn't contain their excitement for our walk. I don't know what it is, but my kids have a tendency to *always* run to the mailbox.



On our way back from the mailbox we headed for the leaves. I think they enjoyed themselves. What do you think?








 

As it turns out, we had a bit of an audience.




After our noses started to match the shade of the leaves on the ground, and our fingers curled up inside of our coat sleeves, we decided to head home. Within minutes of us taking off our shoes and coats, this is what it looked like outside.




 It was a lovely walk, and even lovelier to come back to a warm cozy home minutes before a rainfall. I love this time of year.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some really awesome 'fall fun' photos... Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and a blessed time with your children, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holmer- Thanks! It was a lot of fun :)

    Carl- Thanks to you as well! Such a simple activity was filled with so much joy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOO BEAUTIFUL! gorgeous pictures of the leaf fun! I miss 'real' fall weather!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails